Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Flashback: Gallipoli Coast

After a day spent exploring the ruins of what we assume to be Troy, my group spent the night in Çannakale before embarking on a tour of the Gallipoli Coast.

As I've said, my historical knowledge is very slim.  I've never been much of a history buff but I do appreciate visiting historical sites, there's just something intriguing about standing where years ago others had made an impact on the course of the future.

Even so, with what was imparted by our tour guide I was able to gain an understanding for the significance of this area.


We took a boat from the coast of Çannakale.









The view from the final cemetery site.


The tour was something both haunting and beautiful. It was amazing to see the care taken to preserving each site, and the story behind each stop along the tour was a worthwhile experience.

I'm not sure if you're granted the opportunity of a self-tour, but I personally loved the bus we travelled on for ours.  It was nice to have the historical background provided at each site, and it offered an opportunity to meet other people traveling to the location.

I'm not sure about you, but when I participate in tours or any group tourism activity I purposely will deviate from the group I've come with to meet others that have traveled.  I just love to hear people's stories on why they've traveled and where they come from.

For instance, during the trip I sat next to a lovely elderly woman from New Zealand. She told me that it was her second time coming out to the Coast, and that she comes to pay respects because one of her relatives fought in the Battle.  She had plenty of interesting stories to coincide with this (but I'll refrain from sharing so this doesn't become a novel instead of a blog).

The only thing I will say, is that I wish we had more time at each visit.  We were granted maybe 15 minutes per stop to look around, and with the breathtaking scenery and symbolism it was difficult to take it all in in such a structured time frame.

Needless to say, I've definitely been inspired to brush up on my World War I history.


Has anyone else traveled to landmarks or historical sites? What drew you to them?


xoxo
Chelsea
SHARE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Templates made by pipdig